I have seen various doubts amongst prospective ms computer science us students. In this article, I tried to answer the below questions that generally arrives in mind of prospective students who are going for ms computer science in us.
(1) MS computer science syllabus
(2) MS computer science degree requirements
(3) MS Computer Science degree Courses
(4) MS computer science degree salary
(5) MS computer science degree jobs
(6) best computer science universities in USA
ms computer science syllabus
Universities in India will have one common computer science syllabus for all the colleges and departments. Each major will have pre-defined syllabus. So, students will know what courses will be offered during 4 year degree program. So, it’s natural to think same pattern will apply to colleges/universities while pursuing ms in USA. But, that’s not the case.
There is no single computer science syllabus copy as universities in India have for MS in computer science in us. You are going to waste time by searching for one. Instead of searching for syllabus, find what areas of Computer Science interests you and find schools that have good research in those area. For instance, you can search for Software Engineering, Database, Computer Networks, Wireless Networks, Operating systems and so on.
MS computer science degree requirements
Every department within the colleges in US will have pre-defined degree requirements that have to completed before degree will be awarded. For example – to get MS Computer Science in us, you will need to complete 36 Credit Hours of course works. But exact courses that have to take is not pre-defined. In a semester, Professors will offer different courses.
• Professor A will offer – Software Engineering
• Professor B will offer – Database 1
• Professor C will offer – Advanced Software Engineering
Likewise, most of the professors will offer classes. So, you will have to take 12 courses to get 36 credit hours. If you complete 12 courses, then Masters in CS degree will be given to you.
MS Computer Science degree Courses
Every semester you will have lots of options of coursework to take. If 40 professors are in the department and if they offer 2 courses each, you can select among 80 courses. Majority of International students take 3 courses per semester. So, you have choice to select 3 courses from 80 courses offered per semester. For example, if you want to major in Computer Network, then you can study majority of 12 courses related to Computer Networks. So, bottom line is – there are no specific syllabus for each degree. Its very flexible in US Universities. Number of courses offered in a semester will vary between universities and number of students in the department.
MS computer science degree jobs
There are various computer science degree jobs available one you complete your graduation program. Depending upon your major and qualification, you can apply for it.
Some of them are,
(1) Database Administrator
(2) System Designer
(3) System Analyst
(4) Web Developer
(5) Software Engineer
(6) Network Engineer
(7) Business Analyst
(8) System Administrator
MS computer science degree salary
Average MS computer science degree holder geta around $60,000 to $1,50,000 salary annually. However this is just general figure, you will get more salary if you exceptional qualifications.
Best computer science universities in usa
Here is the list of best computer science universities in usa which you can consider for MS in comuter science. However these are top ranked universities, so you have to get good GRE-TOEFL-Academics score to get in to them.
(1) Carnegie Mellon University – Pittsburgh, PA
(2) Massachusetts Institute of Technology – Cambridge, MA
(3) Stanford University – Stanford, CA
(4) University of California – Berkeley – Berkeley, CA
(5) University of Illinois – Urbana Champaign – Urbana, IL
(6) Cornell University – Ithaca, NY :-
(7) University of Washington – Seattle, WA
(8) Princeton University – Princeton, NJ
(9) Georgia Institute of Technology – Atlanta, GA
(10) University of Texas – Austin – Austin, TX