(2) how to download gpedit.msc
(3) how to open & use gpedit
(4) functions of gpedit.msc
Gpedit.msc is known as many other names like Gpedit, local group policy editor.
What is gpedit.msc and gpedit in windows 7?
There are 2 sub parts of gpedit (group policy editor), Using both you can change Software, Windows settings and administrative templates. But there is narrow difference between both computer and user configuration.
(1) Computer Configuration : Policies changes in this part will be applied to all the users and for entire computer.
(2) User Configuration : Policies changes in this part will be applied to only single user session.
By default, windows 7 does not come with gpedit.msc pre installed. You have to explicitly download gpedit.msc to get rid of error like “cannot find gpedit.msc”.
Here is a link to download gpedit.msc so that you can use it in windows 7 home premium. download gpedit.msc
How to open and use Gpedit in windows 7
Once you downloaded gpedit.msc, Go to run –> Type gpedit.msc as shown in screenshot. You will see gpedit opened.
Group policy Editor administrative tool (Gpedit.msc) is used for,
(1) Adding features present in Vista and XP, but absent in Window 7.
(2) To remove stuff that is inappropriate for that machine, for example, if you have no speakers: ‘Remove volume control icon’.
(3) Gpedit in windows 7 can also be used for employing the traditional group policy role of restricting users, for example, ‘Prevent users from changing the taskbar.
Other functions of Gpedit are,
- Add Logoff to the Start Menu
- Add the Run command to the Start Menu
- Do not display any custom toolbars in the taskbar
- Force classic Start Menu
- Hide the notification area
- Lock the Taskbar
- Prevent users from adding or removing toolbars
- Prevent users from rearranging toolbars
- Prevent users from resizing the taskbar
- Remove the battery meter
- Remove the networking icon
- Remove the volume control icon and find many more