Feb 27, 2013
Change Resources of executable files using Resource HackerPosted by Nevil patel , Categories : Home Tips-Tricks Tips-Windows
I have created one desktop application using Microsoft Visual Studio. It was working fine but somehow I was not able to change the icon of executable file even though I have sat it in Application Properties.
Then I decided to google the problem and I got wonderful solution that helped me to change icon plus many other things of executable file.
Resource hacker is a utility that let you add, delete, modify resources in executable files.
You can download it by navigating following link.
Follow the below steps to change resources of executable files:
(1) Right now My executable file is having no icon. I am going to add it.
(2) Go to File-->Open and browse executable file.
(3)Here you can change basic stuffs like Application name, Internal name, Version , Description.
(4) To add a new icon, click on Action-->Add a new Resource. Browse .ico file and give it a name.
(5) After adding the resource it will appear on left side hierarchy. To save it, Click on File-->Save As as shown in screenshot
(6) You will see Executable file with icon now.
This way you can change many resources like images, menus as resource hacker first decompiles and recompiles the executable files.
You can also change the icons of Notepad, games which is default in Windows OS.