Will adding RAM speed up computer? Are you tired of your sluggish pc and seeking for ways to boost it up? Then avoid using the pc boost up software and take a chance to upgrade your RAM. A slow computer often turns out to be a problem for poor performance and application’s processing. And this is why it is necessary to increase RAM and improve its performance.
What is RAM?
RAM is the acronym for Random Access Memory. It is a computer memory that can be randomly accessed and it allows you to store data and retrieve it from a computer. RAM is a faster memory to read and write from the other storage devices like hard disk, computer, CD-ROM, pen drive, etc. It is a short term memory that emphasizes more on the current ongoing task, meanwhile, keeps eye on more applications at a time.
Difference between RAM and ROM
ROM is the read-only memory that refers to a specific memory used in storing programs that boots the computer and perform diagnostics. The key difference between ROM and RAM for computer is RAM refers to read and write memory and ROM as read-only memory.
Summary of differences
|Used in the normal operations of a computer like loading the operating system and starting up.||Used in the startup process of the computer.|
|Writing data is a faster process||Writing data is a slow process|
|Can store gigabytes of data per chip||Can store only megabytes of data per chip|
|RAM is volatile, i.e. it has temporary memory and gets lost when the power is switched off.||ROM is non-volatile, i.e. the information is kept permanently and it doesn’t get lost when power is turned off.|
|Information can be easily accessed.||To access information, first the information will be transferred to the RAM and it gets implemented by the processor.|
|Faster to boost up the processor speed.||Slower and cannot boost up the processor speed.|
|Rectangle shaped chip inserted in the computer mother board.||Optical drivers made of magnetic tapes.|
|RAM costs higher.||ROM is cheaper.|
|RAM is of 2 types- SRAM (Statistic RAM) and DRAM (Dynamic RAM).||ROM is of 3 types- PROM (Programmable read-only memory), EPROM (Erasable Programmable read-only memory) and EEPROM (Electrically Erasable Programmable read-only memory).|
How to check the memory (RAM) in your computer?
Open Control Panel > System > Check RAM.
Right click on ‘Computer’ > Properties > Check RAM.
How to check RAM usage?
- Open Task Manager by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del or Right click on your taskbar and open Task Manager.
- Click on the Performance tab.
- The graphs will display how much RAM is being consumed in megabytes. The numbers displayed below the graphs shows the amount of used and available memory.
“Will more RAM makes my computer run faster?”
RAM is an important element to run a machine and improve its performance. But meanwhile, you’re thinking of upgrading your RAM, you should also remain concerned about your computer’s age and whether it is running a 32-bit or 64-bit operating system. If you are using an outdated computer with dual-core processor or Core2Duo processor with 512MB or 1GB RAMs and the size of the RAM depends on the CPU processing speed. It’s wiser to learn how much your machine can handle before you desperately go for purchasing a new RAM. If you are using a 32-bit system then it can handle RAM up to 4GB only, and if your operating system is a 64-bit one then you can use the extra RAM for additional memory. The size of RAM also depends on the type of applications you are using. There are some applications which require maximum gigabytes to run themselves. Running software like CorelDRAW or any bigger graphics program will require upgrading your RAM.
How to increase ram in PC/Computer/Laptop?
I am concerned about my computer RAM and motherboard, so I’ll also suggest you to learn about it before you attempt to touch it. Before upgrading your computer RAM, make sure that your motherboard includes an additional RAM slot. If there’s an extra slot available then you can use the RAM there and if all slots are filled up then you’d need to get a bigger RAM section. The new RAM should have the same frequency as the older one because of both have differences in the frequency then your system might face certain problems. Adding a RAM is a sensitive task and you should not forcefully try to insert it. You should be very careful about fitting the new RAM because if any part damages then your RAM might turn non-workable.
(1) Buying extra RAM for computer and installing it
After analyzing whether you need an extra RAM, you can now go ahead and buy extra RAM to add it in the additional slot of your computer. The most common RAM is the DDR3 RAM these days but in case you are upgrading your old computer then you might need to buy the DDR2 RAM. Check the clock speed by determining the performance of your computer. The clock speed is measured in megahertz (MHz) and you can check it from the CPU-Z by going to your computer BIOS.
To install the RAM in your computer,
- Plug out your CPU and lay it on a spacious area.
- Open the body by using screw-drivers and the motherboard will be exhibited.
Look for the RAM slot which will look like this.
The RAM slots are placed as A1, B1, A2 and B2 and many motherboards have four RAM slots which are not placed altogether. So you need to look for them.
- Remove the existing RAM (if required) or place the RAM in the additional slot just by pushing it gently.
Remember DO NOT force drive the RAM for any part of it might get damaged.
- Close the CPU cover and put all the screws back in place.
- After this is done, plug in your computer again and boot up your system.
To make sure your RAM is properly installed, right click on Computer > Properties > Check RAM
To install RAM in your laptop/ notebook,
- Plug out the laptop or notebook cable and place it upside down.
- Remove the screws from the bottom where the motherboard is installed.
- Look for the RAM slot which will look something like this.
- Install the new RAM and push it gently without forcing.
- Place back the cover and screws.
To check whether your RAM is properly installed, right click on Computer > Properties > Check RAM.
But this procedure is not the same in all laptops. Most laptops carry a complicated hardware which should be studied in the manual before you attempt to place a new RAM. If you are worried to attempt it yourself then it’s better to consult with a technician for better guidance.
(2) Use flash drive as RAM in Windows Vista, Windows 7 , Windows 8 – 8.1, Windows 10
Using your USB flash drive as virtual computer system memory is same as using a real RAM and this improves your system performance along with paging memory and other software run fluidly and flawlessly.
To use your USB flash drive as RAM, follow the steps below:
- Insert your flash drive in your computer.
- Open Computer > right click on Properties.
- The System windows will open > Click on Advanced System Settings on the left panel.
- A new window will appear. Click on the Advanced tab.
- Then click on Settings under Performance.
- Again a new window will appear. Tap on the Advanced tab and click on Change under Virtual memory.The Virtual memory window will appear.
- Uncheck the option ‘Automatically manage paging file size for all drives’.
- Now in Custom size, add your flash drive in the format mentioned below.
For instance, if your flash drive is of 8GB then add 10MB less from the current size.
- Add the same number in both the boxes and click on Apply.
- Reboot your computer and your USB flash drive will work as a virtual RAM.
(3) Increasing RAM with ReadyBoost option
Insert your flash drive > right click on it under My Computer > click Properties.
- A window will appear. Tap on the ReadyBoost tab > click on ‘Use this device’ option.
- Reduce your current device space with 200-300MB approx if it is of 3700MB.
- Click on Apply.
To revert back to the original RAM then click on ‘Do not use this device’ under ReadyBoost tab.
(4) Additional ways of getting more RAM in Windows pc
Use Task Manager to disable applications
When you open your computer Task Manager, you’ll notice the number of running programs and the percentage of memory they are consuming. You can manually disable those programs by following these steps:
- Open Task Manager by right clicking on your taskbar.
- Select the programs and click End Task.
Most programs will keep operating even when you shut them down and they consume a lot of your memory space by running 24 hours. So this step will completely disable it and boost RAM.
Get a RAM Cleaner to add more ram to pc
This is not necessarily required but if you are facing too much problem with your RAM then it’s smarter to get a RAM Cleaner. RAM Cleaners basically analyzes the programs which are eating up your space. They clean up the memory and file cache and improve your system performance. This tool is necessary to detect the apps run by malwares and viruses because those apps eat up huge RAM space and make your pc run slower. Some of the popular RAM cleaning apps are CleanMem (for Windows), Minimem (for Windows) and Super Memory Cleaner (for Mac).
How to increase RAM in Android phones and tablets? (Ram increaser)
Mobile phones like Android, consumes lot of memory with its in-built apps and usage. For example, using the live images and large size games takes up too much of the space and hence slower down your phone’s performance. At time, even after exiting an app the RAM is not cleaned up and hence, the app keeps running on the background. So there are certain options to improve your phone RAM without having root access to it.
- Have access to limited and necessary apps.
- Avoid using live wallpapers and animations.
To disable animations,
- Go to Settings > Developer options.
- Under Drawing section, turn of the these options-Window animation scale, Transition animation scale, Animator scale duration
- Disable the unnecessary applications.
To disable an application,
- Go to Settings > Apps/ Application manager
- Click on the All tab
- Tap on the application you want to disable
- Tap Disable and Confirm
How to upgrade memory RAM in Android phones/tablets by using RAM expander?
RAM Expander (SWAP) is an app that increases your mobile phone RAM. But before purchasing this app, you should check your devices’ compatibility with MemoryInfo & SwapFile Check app which will determine whether your device is compatible with ROEHSOFT RAM Expander app or not.
To use RAM Expander,
- Purchase the app and install it in your Android phone.
- Choose your language.
- Create a SWAP file by clicking on Swap Active > Enable it.
- After completing this, click on the Grey Box and Activate SWAP. Hence, your phone will get an upgraded RAM.
Other manual options to increase our phone RAM:
- Use SD Card of Class 6 or higher.
- Use a rooted device.
- SD Card Reader.
- Other application or software.
Key features of ROEHSOFT RAM Expander app are:
- Free SD card memory as a RAM use (SWAP RAM/ SWAP Memory)
- Swapfile RAM extension up to 4GB
- No limit on SWAP partition
- SWAP on/off widget for PNP Swap
- It details memory information and analysis
- Swappiness kernel parameter set
- Easy foolproof use (1 click optimization and automatic calculation).
- Usual performance degradation when paged not occurs with SD card from Class-8.
- Supporting all rooted Android devices.
“So now can I add more RAM to my pc”?
Definitely, Yes. If you are confident about the RAM expanding process then you can go ahead and add an extra RAM on pc. I hope this article will be a perfect guide to you during the RAM changing process.