“I forgot Windows password and how should I recover it?” This question arises in every Win 10/ 7 user who accidentally lost their admin password. Still many users are unaware of the tactics to recover it again and hence, you end up with a locked system and visit the service center. But it is also true that you can reset your password without any hardware operations or with/ without the disk. So today I am going to mention the simplest ways for recovering your Windows administrator password.
Note: All 5 methods for resetting windows password will work for all the windows version.
5 ways to attempt windows 7/8/10 password reset
- Using password reset disk
- Using Chntpw tool in Ubuntu
- Using 3 party tool from iSunshare
- Using Windows Password Recovery
- Using default administrator account
How to reset a password on Windows?
(1) Resetting password with login disk
You have to create reset disk for a password in advance if you want to utilize this option later on to reset the password.
To reset a lost windows password, please follow the steps below:
Create Password reset disk for Windows 7/ 8/ 8.1/ 10
- Open Control Panel > User Accounts.
- Click on Create a password reset disk by inserting your password reset USB drive or disk.
- Follow the steps to create a new password.
In case, you forgot Windows 7 password for a PC/ laptop/ notebook then you can reset it by using a password reset disk for your user account. Alternatively, you can also use the USB flash drive where the password reset information is stored. So follow the steps below to perform it:
Reset Windows 10/ 8/ 8.1/ 7 password
- Click OK when Window displays a message like ‘the password you have entered is incorrect’.
- Click on Reset Password and insert your “password reset disk” or USB flash drive.
- Follow the instructions as asked in the Password reset wizard and create a new password.
- Now login with the new password and access your user account.
(2) How to reset windows 7 password with Chntpw?
Chntpw is an offline Windows password removal tool and registry editor which can help you reset your system password. To recover your Windows password with this tool, carefully follow these steps:
- Get the Universal USB installer and download Ubuntu 10.10 from http://releases.ubuntu.com/10.10/.
- To create a bootable Ubuntu Live USB, run the Universal USB installer and select Ubuntu 10.10.
- Click on Browse > select the Ubuntu ISO file.
- Select the USB drive > set the exact file size.
- Click on Create to start creating a bootable Ubuntu Live USB.
- To boot the desktop PC from Ubuntu Live USB, press ESC, F2, F10 and F9 to reboot your computer and enter the system BIOS.
- Set the removable dark drive as the first boot option in the BIOS settings.
- Save changes and reboot the system from Ubuntu Live USB.
- To install Chntpw, press Ctrl + Alt + T to open a terminal window.
- Type “sudo apt-get install chntpw“ > click Enter.
- This process will take some time to complete. After it is done, type Exit and hit Enter.
- Now to reset Windows 7 password, mount the hard disk partition where Windows is installed in order to access all the removable drives and hard disk partitions from the Places menu.
- Mount the drive with Windows folder.
- Open the Applications menu from the panel and select Terminal from Accessories menu.
- In the Terminal window, enter “cd /media” command and list all mounted media drives with “/s“
- Steer to the drive which includes the Windows folder.
- Type, cd <hard drive label>
- Open config folder and you can make changes to Security Accounts Manager.
- Read Windows user account credentials and make changes to saved passwords with running Chntpw tool.
- Type “sudo chntpw SAM” command, which can make changes to Windows admin account password.
- After you make changes to the user password, reboot your system and exit Ubuntu Live USB.
(3) How to attempt Windows 7 password reset with iSunshare Windows Password Genius Advanced?
To reset Windows password with Windows Password Genius software, you need to follow these simple steps:
- Download and install iSunshare Windows Password Genius Advanced (http://www.isunshare.com/windows-password-recovery.html) on a PC. iSunshare Windows Password Genius Advanced is an effective Windows password recovery tool that supports most version of Windows.
- Insert a writable USB drive/CD/DVD in your PC and select it.
- Click on Begin burning to create a Windows password recovery It will take some time for the burning process to complete.
- Click OK when the burning completed successfully.
- For Windows 10 password reset, insert the burnable disk into the locked computer and make it boot.
- Select Windows and user account that you wish to reset.
- Click Reset password and wait for removing Windows password > Reboot.
This tool offers free download and works with almost all versions of Windows, including Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 2000/2003/2008/2012.
(4) Use Windows password key to crack password
If you failed in your system password recovery then you can regain access to it with this process.
- Log in to an accessible computer > Download and install Windows Password Key (http://www.lostwindowspassword.com/) in that PC.
- Run the program and burn it in a black CD/DVD/USB Flash drive.
- After the burning is complete, insert the disk in the locked computer and boot it from the disk by changing the BIOS setup.
- Follow the instructions to reset your Windows password.
(5) By using Windows 7 default Administrator account
Win 7/ 8/ 10 has a built-in administrator account which is generated during Windows installation and that too without any password. That account is disabled by default, so you need to enable it before losing your different admin account password. So if you forgot windows 10 password, then perform these steps:
- Power on your PC and press F8 during the bootup process.
- The Advanced Boot Options screen will appear > Scroll down to ‘Safe Mode with Command Prompt’ > press Enter. You PC will start in Safe Mode with Command Prompt.
- Select the Administrator account which appears on the screen > enter Command Prompt.
- Type net username password (enter your name and password in ‘name password’) > press Enter.
- It will display a message ‘the command completed successfully’.
- Reboot your computer and log in with your name and password.
Let me know in comments if you know any other way to recover lost windows password. Additional help is also available here.