(1) California (CA) DMV introduction
(2) California dmv handbook and how to clear written knowledge test
(3) California dmv appointment system
(4) Online dmv services
(5) California dmv forms
(6) California dmv locations and offices
DMV (Department of motor vehicle) as it name suggests does administer various tasks like vehicle registration, driver licensing. People can approach to DMV if they want to get new driving license/ID or want to renew one, for registering their vehicle, Law enforcement, Vehicle ownership etc. It is state level government agency within United States. In different states, it is known by different names like Office of Motor Vehicles, Motor Vehicle Division, Bureau of Motor Vehicles, Division of Driver and Vehicle Services etc. But more general name is DMV across United States.
DMV Headquarters: Sacramento, CA 95818, United States
Ca dmv website: www.dmv.ca.gov
California dmv hours: It may vary from office to office but here I am putting general dmv working hours. DMV may be closed on public holidays throughout the year.
Monday 8:00am – 5:00pm
Tuesday 8:00am – 5:00pm
Wednesday 8:00am – 5:00pm
Thursday 8:00am – 5:00pm
Friday 8:00am – 5:00pm
CA DMV FAQs: There are many frequently asked questions answered by Ca DMV here. You can check it here: https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/online/appt/apptfaq
California written driving test
If you are above 18 years old, you can apply for California driving license without parent’s consent. If you are minor having age at least 15 ½, but under 18 years of age then you have to have parent’s consent to apply for new driving license.
Phase 1: You have to read california dmv handbook and online papers to pass 1st phase. It is computerized test where you will get 35 questions and to pass the test you should not give more than 5 wrong answers. You will get learner’s permit if you clear this phase and later you are eligible to drive in supervision of someone who already possesses the driving license.
Phase 2: You have to take dmv driving test appointment for “behind the wheel driving test”. You have to go there with car and give vehicle insurance and registration information. You will get your driving license if you clear this road test. You have to give driving test within 1 year of getting learner’s permit.
California dmv appointment system
Usually there is huge rush at all DMV offices within California. So if you go to any DMV office without, you have to wait there for 1-4 hours before you get your number. So I highly recommend you to go to dmv ca appointment website and make the appointment before you go.
You can also call to DMV to take appointment, to ask about status of pending ID card / driving license.
California dmv phone number to take dmv ca office appointment: 1-800-777-0133
|Dmv appointment system|
You have to choose Field office visit if you are going for any of below purpose,
- Applying for original driving license (To take knowledge test and apply for driving license for the first time)
- Applying for California driver license and you already possess driving license from any other state of USA
- To register or title a vehicle or vessel (boat)
- Return to take another written knowledge test
- Apply for a California ID card, replacement or renewal of a California driver license
Choose behind the wheel driving test if you possess learner’s permit and going for driving test along your vehicle.
|Form to be filled to take appointment|
Here according to my experience, I am listing approximate next appointment dates you may get.
Approximate Future appointments available dates:
(1) Behind the wheel driving test: After 10-20 days
(2) Field office visit: After 1-5 days
Other online services offered by California DMV,
- Driver record request
- Vehicle record request
- California dmv registration services
- California dmv renewal services
- Vehicle Registration Renewal
- California dmv change of address
- Occupational License Information
- Register to Vote
- Traffic Payment
- Affidavit of Non-Use
- Vehicle Registration Fee Calculator
California DMV forms
You will get forms when you visit the local DMV office. But if you don’t want to waste time and wanted to go prepared then you can visit this link and download all required DMV forms for your purpose. To save time, best option is to take appointment, download online form and visit dmv office with filled form.
Download California dmv forms
California dmv locations and offices
You will find California DMV offices at these locations. It is in alphabetical order. You can go to any of the office nearest to your place and get you work done regarding vehicle registration or driving license.
- Alturas, Arleta, Arvin, Auburn
- Bakersfield, Bakersfield Southwest, Banning, Barstow, Bell Gardens, Bellflower, Bishop, BlytheBrawley
- Capitola, Carmichael, Chico, Chula Vista, Clovis, Coalinga, Colusa, Compton, Concord, Corte Madera, Costa Mesa, Crescent City, Culver City
- Daly City, Davis, Delano
- El Cajon, El Centro, El Cerrito, El Monte, Eureka
- Fairfield, Fall River Mills, Folsom, Fontana, Fontana CDTC, Fort Bragg, Fremont, Fresno, Fresno CDTC, Fresno North, Fullerton
- Garberville, Gilroy, Glendale, Goleta, Granada Hills DLPC, Grass Valley
- Hanford, Hawthorne, Hayward, Hemet, Hollister, Hollywood
- Indio, Inglewood
- King City
- Laguna Hills, Lake Isabella, Lakeport, Lancaster, Lincoln Park, Lodi, Lompoc, Lompoc DLPC, Long Beach, Los Angeles, Los Banos, Los Gatos
- Madera, Manteca, Mariposa, Mendota, Merced, Modesto, Montebello, Mt Shasta
- Napa, Needles, Newhall, Norco, Novato
- Oakland, Oakland Coliseum, Oceanside, Oroville, Oxnard
- Palm Desert, Palm Springs, Palmdale, Paradise, Pasadena, Paso Robles, Petaluma, Pittsburg, Placerville, Pleasanton, Pomona, Porterville, Poway
- Rancho Cucamonga, Rancho San Diego IBC, Red Bluff, Redding, Redlands, Redwood City, Reedley, Ridgecrest, Riverside, Riverside East, Rocklin, Roseville
- Sacramento, Sacramento South, SalinasSan Andreas, San Bernardino, San Clemente, San Diego, San Diego Clairemont, San Francisco, San Jose, San Jose DLPC, San Luis Obispo, San Marcos, San Mateo, San Pedro, San Ysidro, Santa Ana, Santa Barbara, Santa Clara, Santa Maria, Santa Monica, Santa Paula, Santa Rosa, Santa Teresa, Seaside, Shafter, Simi Valley, Sonora, South Lake Tahoe, Stanton DLPC, Stockton, Susanville
- Taft, Temecula, Thousand Oaks, Torrance, Tracy, Truckee, Tulare, Tulelake, Turlock, Twentynine Palms
- Vacaville, Vallejo, Van Nuys, Ventura, Victorville, Visalia
- Walnut Creek, Watsonville, Weaverville, West Covina, West Hollywood, West Sacramento CDTC, Westminster, Whittier, Willows, Winnetka, Woodland
- Yreka, Yuba City
|Ca dmv headquarter sacramento|
california dmv appointments
california dmv phone number and hours