How to get rid of annoying pop ups on the Desktop
Method 1: Windows Defender
If you have installed some application, then it may happen that along with that software program some viruses are also entered your system. These viruses could also generate popups. So to find out such malware programs, you can use Windows Defender. Windows Defender was initially an antispyware program. This program is included with Windows Vista and Windows 7 and is available as a free download for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003. However, for all the Windows 8 users it will work as an antivirus program. Remember, Windows Defender doesn’t stop the popups but prevents/cleans such malicious programs which may generate popups.
Follow the steps to turn on Windows Defender:
- Go to Control Panel and search for “windows defender“.
- Click on Windows Defender and click “Turn on“.
|Search for Windows Defender|
|Turn On Windows Defender|
Method 2: Uninstall Programs
Another way out is to find out which software program is responsible for popups and then uninstall it. You can follow below mentioned steps to uninstall a program on your Windows.
- Go to “Control Panel“; click “Programs“.
- In “Programs and Features“, click “Uninstall a Program“.
This is all about the desktop popups. Next is the popups that appears when browsing and how to block popups on different browsers. We will learn 3 different methods to get rid of popups on google chrome, Firefox Mozilla and internet explorer (ie). All these methods are easy to perform and any normal person can execute the steps. In first method, you need to do some simple change in your browsers settings, the second method talks about the extensions/addons and last one is about using software program.
How to stop pop ups on Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox and Internet Explorer
Method 1: Enabling Popup Blocking from Within Your Browser
For Microsoft Internet Explorer:
- To navigate to the popup blocker settings, open browser and go to “Settings“.
- Click “Internet Options“→”Privacy“.
- In Pop-up blocker, check “Turn on Pop-up Blocker“.
|ie popup blocker settings|
If this box is clicked and you are still seeing pop ups, follow the steps mentioned below:
- Go to “Settings“, Click “Internet Options“→”Privacy“.
- In Pop-up blocker, click on “Settings“.
- A pop-up Blocker Settings window will appear, go to the bottom and find ‘Blocking level‘.
- Change the droop-down from the default ‘Medium: Block most automatic pop-ups’ to ‘High: Block all pop-ups (Ctrl+Alt to override)’.
|internet explorer popup blocker settings|
For Google Chrome:
In Google Chrome, popups are automatically blocked as a default setting, but you can make sure that the setting is enabled. Following are the steps to check:
- Go to Chrome menu; click “Settings“→ “Show advanced settings“→”Content settings“.
- Next, check the “Do not allow any site to show pop-ups” option.
|google chrome settings|
|chrome content settings|
|block pop-ups on chrome|
Also, for some websites you can manually allow the popups. To manually allow pop-ups from a site, click the pop-up blocker icon at the end of the address bar and click the link; select “Always show pop-ups from [site].” Now, this site will be added to the exceptions list, which you can manage in the Content Settings dialog.
For Mozilla Firefox:
Like chrome browsers, popup blocking in this browser should come already enabled. Still, if they are not blocked you can follow the below mentioned steps:
- Navigate to “Firefox“→”Preferences“→”Content“.
- Press the “Block pop-up windows” option.
Method 2: Getting an Extension to Add to Your Browser
This is the second method for how to block popups. Extensions provide some extra functionality to your browsing experience. You can find extensions for every browser just by typing their names in search bar. You can enable or disable extensions as per your changing requirements. Following are the steps through which you can download popup blocker extension for your browser (chrome, ie, Mozilla).
- Firefox: Go to “Tools” → “Add-ons”→ “Get Extensions”.
- Chrome: Go to “Tools”→”Extensions”→ “Get more extensions”.
- Internet Explorer: Go to “Tools”→”Manage add-ons”.
Some examples of popular popup blocker extensions:
Method 3: Using Software to Block Popups
If you don’t want to use either of the above mentioned methods, then to install a best popup blocker is the last solution. There are both paid and free software available in the market. These programs/applications are designed in such a way that they block pop-up windows, advertisements or prevent from appearing on your computer when you browse the Web. Moreover, many of these applications can stop Flash or kill banner ads in Web pages, prevent malicious cookies or defend your computer from scripting exploits.
Some of the best popup blocker are listed here:
how to stop popups