(2) Pass behind the wheel drive test
California DMV free practice test 2017 questions and answers
What is knowledge test?
The knowledge test is used by DMV CA to check individual’s knowledge about road signs, traffic laws, and other information. To get the new driving license, this is the 1st hurdle to be passed.
- 35 questions in the exam. To pass the test, no more than 5 answers should be wrong. You may refer below free California driving test questions for practice.
- It is a computerized test and on touch screen computer you will give your test.
- Nobody except tester is allowed inside testing area except interpreters.
- You will be asked to answer questions related to road signs, traffic laws, and other information.
- The test is available in English, Spanish, Japanese, Korean, Russian, Vietnamese languages.
If you like to learn interactively then you can utilize this android app which includes all the questions asked in recent Dmv tests. California DMV Practice Test
Here are some of the tips given by DMV itself, When you are ready to take the actual test, keep these suggestions in mind:
- Review the California Driver Handbook. It contains a lot of information and it may take you a few days to get through it.
- Read the test questions carefully. Don’t read anything extra into the question. There will be one correct answer and the other two answer choices will be either obviously wrong or not appropriate for the question asked.
- Remember, all the test questions are taken from the handbook. If you miss a question, the field office employee can tell you on which page to find the correct answer.
- Don’t be nervous. DMV wants you to pass your test. You can practice driving test questions before you come for the test. Good Luck!
Answers will be available at the end of a set of 10 questions so that you can cross-check.
50 important California written driving test | DMV ca driving test questions
1 – 10 (California Dmv driving test questions and answers)
(1) You must notify DMV within 5 days if you:
(a) Sell or transfer your vehicle
(b) Paint your vehicle a different
(c) Are cited for a traffic violation
(2) It is illegal for a person 21 years of age or older to drive with a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) that is or higher?
(a) 0.08% – Eight-hundredths of one percent
(b) 0.10% – One tenth of one
(c) 0.05% – Five hundredths of one percent
(3) When you change lanes or merge into another lane, you:
(a) Have the right-of-way
(b) Should first stop and check for cross traffic
(c) Need at least a four-second gap in traffic
(4) Which statement is true about motorcyclists and motorists?
(a) Motorcyclists are not allowed to drive faster than other traffic during congested road
(b) Motorcyclists have the same rights/responsibilities as other motorists
(c) Motorcycles are heavier than other vehicles and are less affected
(5) You want to back out of a parking space. You should always back slowly and look:
(a) At your rearview mirror as you back
(b) At your side mirrors as you back up
(c) Over your right and left shoulders as you back up
(6) If an oncoming vehicle has started to turn left in front of you:
(a) Honk your horn to warn the driver and maintain your speed
(b) Maintain your speed and move towards your right
(c) Slow or use your brakes to prevent collision
(7) Turn your front wheels tow d the o r hen you park:
(a) Facing downhill
(b) Facing uphill
(c) On a level
(8) Unless otherwise posted, the speed limit in residential or business district is:
(a) 25 mph
(b) 30 mph
(c) 35 mph
(9) You should usually drive your vehicle more carefully when you:
(a) Are near schools, playgrounds, and in residential areas
(b) Pass large trucks on the
(c) Want to look at a controlled accident
(10) When looking ahead of your vehicle while driving, you should:
(a) Look straight ahead at all times
(b) Look only at the cars ahead of you
(c) Scan your surroundings
Answers: (1)a (2)a (3)c (4)b (5)c (6)c (7)a (8)a (9)a (10)c
11 – 20 (California DMV written test questions) (DMV ca driving test questions)
(11) A large truck is driving in the middle of three lanes. You want to pass the large truck. It is best to pass:
(a) Quickly on the left and move ahead of it
(b) Very slowly on the left and move ahead of it
(c) Very quickly on the right and move ahead of it
(12) You are driving on a five-lane freeway in the lane closest to the center divider. To exit the freeway on the right you should:
(a) Carefully cross all the lanes at one time
(b) Change lanes one at a time until you are in the proper lane
(c) Slow before beginning each lane change
(13) Always look carefully for motorcycles before you make a turn because:
(a) They must have a full traffic
(b) They always have the right-of-way at intersections
(c) Their smaller size makes them harder to see
(14) Do not cross double solid yellow lines in the center of the roadway to:
(a) Pass other vehicles
(b) Make a left
(c) To make a U-Turn
(15) A school bus has stopped ahead on your side of the road and is flashing its red lights. What should you do?
(a) Stop first, then proceed when you think it is safe
(b) Stop as long as the red lights flash
(c) Stop until all the children have crossed your lane
(16) You can be fined up to $1,000 and jailed for six months if you are cited for:
(a) Dumping or abandoning an animal on a highway
(b) Making a U-turn from a center left-turn
(c) Parking in a bicycle
(17) If you are involved in a collision, you must exchange with the other person(s) involved, your driver license information and:
(a) Proof of insurance
(b) Proof of insurance and vehicle registration
(c) Proof of insurance, vehicle registration, and current address
(18) Use your high-beam headlights at night:
(a) As little as possible
(b) Only on unlighted path
(c) Whenever it is legal and safe
(19) When is it legal to use a cell phone without a hands-free device while driving?
(a) When making a call while stopped at a red light
(b) When making a call for emergency assistance
(20) You must yield the right-of-way to an emergency vehicle by,
(a) Driving as near to the right edge of the road as possible and stopping
(b) Moving into the right lane and driving slowly until it has passed
(c) Stopping immediately, even if you are in an intersection
Answers: (11)a (12)b (13)c (14)a (15)b (16)a (17)c (18)c (19)b (20)a
(21-30) California driving test | ca driving test
(21) You are caught driving with a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) or above the legal limit:
(a) You may be fined by the authority.
(b) Your breath test result by itself cannot be used to convict you.
(c) Your driver license will automatically be revoked, regardless of your license type
(22) When stopped at railroad tracks with multiple tracks, cross
(a) Only when you can see clearly in both directions
(b) As soon as the train has passed your roadway
(c) Only when other vehicles begin crossing
(23) This blue sign means parking is allowed:
(a) Only for persons in wheelchairs
(b) For disabled persons without a special placard or plate.
(c) Only for disabled persons with a special placard or plate
(24) This yellow sign means:
(a) Lanes merge ahead
(b) Divided highway ahead
(c) Obstructed roadway ahead
(25) There is one lane in your direction and the vehicle ahead of you often slows down for no apparent reason. In this situation you should,
(a) Speed up to pass the vehicle as soon as possible.
(b) Increase the following distance between you and the other
(c) Flash your headlights quickly to alert the other driver.
(26) On a sharp curve, you should use your brakes to slow your vehicle,
(a) Just after you enter the curve
(b) During the entire time you drive through the curve
(c) Before you enter the curve
(27) You are approaching an intersection. The traffic signal light is flashing red. What should you do?
(a) Cautiously continue driving through the intersection
(b) Stop before entering, then proceed when
(c) Stop before entering. Wait for the green light before proceeding
(28) What is the best advice for driving when heavy fog or dust occurs?
(a) Try not to drive until the conditions improve
(b) Do not drive too slowly, because other drivers may hit you
(c) Alternate your low and high beams to improve your vision
(29) You are driving on a divided street with multiple lanes in your direction. If you need to make a U-turn, where should you start?
(a) in the median
(b) On the
(c) In the left lane
(30) Smoking inside a vehicle when a person younger than 18 years of age is present is:
(a) Legal, if it is your
(b) Illegal at all times
(c) Not restricted by law
Answers: (21)c (22)a (23)c (24)b (25)b (26)c (27)b (28)a (29)c (30)b
31-40 (California DMV written test) (California written driving test questions)
(31) Which of these is true about other drivers?
(a) Drivers always obey traffic signs and signals
(b) Drivers using turn signals always turn in the direction
(c) Never assume other drivers will give you the right-of-way
(32) It is illegal to leave a child six years of age or younger unattended in a motor vehicle:
(a) When the keys are in the ignition
(b) If the child is accompanied by a 12-year old brother or sister.
(c) On a cold, rainy day and all the windows are rolled up
(33) You see a pedestrian with a white cane at the corner ready to cross the street. The person takes a step back and pulls in his cane. You should:
(a) Proceed across the street because the person is not ready to cross street
(b) Stop your car a minimum of six feet from the crosswalk and wait for the person to cross the road
(c) Honk your horn to let the person know when to cross the street
(34) Driving slower than the traffic flow tends to:
(a) Make a collision less likely to happen
(b) Make a collision more likely to happen
(c) Not change the chances of having a collision
(35) Where should you stop your vehicle if there is no crosswalk or limit line?
(a) Just past the corner
(b) At the corner
(c) Twenty feet before the corner
(36) When you are in a dedicated turn lane controlled by a green arrow, which of the following is true?
(a) All vehicles or pedestrians in the intersection must yield to you
(b) All oncoming vehicles and pedestrians are stopped by red lights.
(c) You may turn in the arrow’s direction without checking traffic.
(37) On freezing, wet days, which of the following roadways is most likely to hide spots of ice?
(a) Roadways near the tops of hills
(b) Roadways on bridges and overpasses.
(c) Roadways paved with asphalt
(38) Slowing down just to look at collisions or anything else out of the ordinary:
(a) Causes traffic congestion
(b) Prevents rear-end collisions
(c) Improves traffic flow by preventing collisions
(39) On a freeway, you should look farther ahead than you would on a city street:
(a) In order to see potential hazards
(b) Because it takes 1/4 mile to stop your vehicle completely.
(c) Because it helps you keep up with traffic
(40) You must notify law enforcement and make a written report (SR 1) to DMV when:
(a) You intend to file a certificate of non-operation for your vehicle.
(b) Your vehicle is towed for parking illegally
(c) You have a collision and there is an injury or death
Answers: (31)c (32)a (33)a (34)b (35)b (36)b (37)b (38)a (39)a (40)c
41-50 (California DMV driving license and permit test)
(41) Three of the most important times to check traffic behind you are before:
(a) Backing, making a sharp turn, or crossing an intersection.
(b) Backing, changing lanes, or slowing down quickly.
(c) Changing lanes, crossing intersections, or slowing down
(42) This white sign means don’t pass:
(a) Do Until after you pass the sign
(b) Unless it seems safe to do so
(c) Other vehicles for any reason
(43) A curb painted blue means parking is:
(a) Allowed for no longer than 15 minutes
(b) For picking up or dropping off passengers
(c) For disabled persons with a special placard or plate.
(44) Yellow lines separate:
(a) Traffic lanes on one-way streets
(b) Traffic moving in opposite directions on a two-way road
(c) All carpool lanes from regular traffic lanes
(45) After passing a car, it is safe to return to your driving lane when:
(a) The driver you just passed signals you to return to your lane
(b) You signal for three seconds your intention to return to your lane
(c) You see the headlights of the passed car in your rearview mirror
(46) You may make a left turn on a red light only from a:
(a) One-way street onto a two-way
(b) One-way street onto a one-way
(c) Two-way street onto a one-way street
(47) An orange and red sign of this shape on a vehicle always means:
(a) The vehicle has the right-of-way
(b) Slow moving ahead
(c) Shoulder work ahead
(48) You must look for bicycle riders in the same lanes used by motor vehicle because of they:
(a) Must ride facing oncoming traffic
(b) Illegally share lanes with motor vehicles
(c) Are entitled to share the road with you.
(49) A red arrow pointing to the right on a traffic light means you may:
(a) Turn in that direction after slowing and checking traffic
(b) Not turn in that direction until the light turns green.
(c) Turn in that direction after you come to a complete stop
(50) A pedestrian starts to cross the street after the “Don’t Walk” signal begins to flash. The pedestrian is in the middle of the street when your signal light changes to green. You should:
(a) Proceed if you have the right-of-way
(b) Proceed if pedestrian is not in your lane
(c) Do not proceed until pedestrian crosses the street.
Answers: (41)b (42)c (43)c (44)b (45)c (46)b (47)c (48)c (49)b (50)c
DMV practice written test
online DMV driving test
California written driving test
DMV driving test questions
DMV practise driving test sample questions and answers
the driving permit test