Receiving annoying text messages is a part of our daily lives. However, the expensive smartphone we use, the companies will keep sending the promoting messages which are even useless to us. But the most frustrating part for us is our incapability to block such messages. Despite any inaccessible way to block text messages on an Android phone, I went through a small research and found out a few fantastic methods to prevent text messages. So in this post, I will tell you the ways for blocking text messages on Android phones.
How to block texts on Android?
(1) Method 1
This method can be used in the latest Android systems.
- Go to Messages.
- Open a message from an unwanted number.
- Click on Options containing three dots in the upper right corner.
- Click “Block Number”.
- If you can’t see “Block Number” option then click on People & Options à Block, followed by the sender’s name. To confirm, click Block again.
(2) Method 2
These steps are specifically for the stock ‘Messaging’ app in Android 5.0. However, some carriers may include a different app for texting.
- Open Messaging.
- Press the Menu icon, displayed in three dots, in the upper right corner.
- Select ‘Blacklist’.
- Turn Blacklist to On and then select Plus (+) to add a person to block list.
- Type the number you want to block.
- Check ‘Block incoming calls’ or ‘Block incoming messages’, and select Ok.
- If you want to remove a number from Blacklist, then select the number and choose Delete.
(3) Method 3: Use Handcent
Handcent is a powerful messaging app that can replace your stock text messenger. With this app, you can blacklist or block text messages and sort messages based on your priority. The app also includes loads of customizable features such as a private inbox, SMS backup, scheduled task, emojis, and stickers, etc.
To block a message with Handcent, you need to follow the below instructions:
- Download and install Handcent from the Google Play Store https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.handcent.app.nextsms.
- Remember to disable the notifications for your current text messaging app or else you will receive double notifications.
- Open Handcent and select the Menu icon in the upper left corner of the screen.
- Then select the Gear in the lower left corner of the screen.
- Select Security & Privacy > Manage blacklist.
- Tap the plus (+) icon to add the phone number you want to block.
- You can also directly input the number from your contacts or call logs.
Now the blocked messages will not be displayed in the Handcent app, and neither will you receive any notifications from the person. In case you want to unblock the person, return to the ‘Manage blacklist’ screen > click it > select Unblacklist.
(4) Method 4: How to block text messages on LG phone?
Blocking messages on an LG Android phone is simple and straightforward. You can block a message simply by marking it as spam. To block messages on LG phone, please follow the below steps:
- Open the Messaging app on your LG device.
- Tap on the SMS or MMS you want to block.
- Tap on Menu > Register spam number > check or uncheck Delete all messages of the selected number.
The number will be blocked or registered as spam.
(5) Method 5: Blocking messages on an HTC phone
HTC also provides a simple way to block messages from specific number just like LG phones. To block messages on an HTC Android phone, you need to follow the below steps:
- Open Messages.
- Tap and hold the desired conversation until the Message option appears.
- Tap Block contact.
The selected conversation will be blocked.
(6) Method 6: Use SMS Blocker text blocker app
SMS Blocker is one of the “best text blocker apps” that automatically blocks spam messages. This effective app can also block messages based on the number, the sender phrase, content word, and by Series. The blocked messages can be found in a separate folder, surprisingly, providing you an option to restore the message to the inbox. The blocked messages can be exported to a Notepad file. SMS Blocker lets you block an unlimited number of messages, providing the most superior features and performance.
The SMS Blocker app comes for free, along with the option to avail its premium version which includes, blocking SMS from all unknown numbers, backup and restore data in/from the app, password protection, delete blocked SMS automatically, and an ad-free interface. The SMS Blocker app can be downloaded from https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.smsBlocker&hl=en.
(7) Method 7: Truecaller
Truecaller is a powerful Caller ID app that can identify unknown calls and SMS and block calls and texts those are spam. This app can instantly identify the sender/caller, providing you the option to block the incoming calls and messages from them. Truecaller is a smart app that flashes the name and location of the caller and block by name and number series. The app can be used on both Android and iPhone devices and can be downloaded from https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.truecaller&hl=en.
(8) Method 8: Use Postman Text Message Blocker
Postman Text Blocker is another Android app that blocks spam messages automatically. This app can detect the spam messages instantly and blocks them without requiring anything to configure. It includes a powerful spam detector and filter and also allows you to recover an SMS to your inbox with one click. The app shows a trusted senders list where you will find the names of the trusted contacts those are not required to be blocked. More features include automatically cleaning up the older messages, protecting your phone from unknown senders, sending smart and safe notifications, and lots more. The Postman app can be downloaded from https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.thesimpleandroidguy.apps.messageclient&hl=en.
If the volume of spam messages is too high on your number, then now you can instantly block them with the help of these methods. This will keep your phone junk free and remove the unwanted texts those are cluttering up your inbox. Therefore, these apps will reduce the volume of promotional messages on your device and keep your phone safe from telecallers and marketers.